Large cool (dark) area indicates moisture in the vinyl faced roof insulation. Green arrow points to apparent leak entry along rake edge of roof. Red arrow points to single dripping location approximately 30’ down and 12’ over from entry point.
Red arrow points to single dripping location from this large wet area. Cooler (darker) pattern indicates moisture in the insulation.
- This 20,000 square foot building had 10 wet areas totaling an estimated 1,255 square feet.
- 7 of the areas were wetting the insulation but had not started to leak to the interior.
- Best time to inspect and trace leaks to entry point is during or shortly after a rain.
- Some insulations dry faster and patterns may disappear within a few hours after a rain.
- Patterns often indicate the path and/or entry point of the leak.
Download PDF of Thermography Brief – Moisture in Metal Roofs